Adoptive families may experience issues related to trauma and loss sometimes years after the adoption has occurred. When adoptive parents seek support, they often struggle to find therapists skilled in working with adoptive families.
We are committed to ensuring that families are supported to help their adopted children thrive.
Training for Adoption Competency™ (TAC) is a 12-session (72 hour) competency-based training program for licensed mental health clinicians who provide pre-and-post-adoption services to prospective adoptive parents, birth parents, adopted persons, and adoptive and kinship families.
TAC is a Nationally Endorsed Training Curriculum
- TAC was developed in collaboration with a national advisory board of adoption experts
- TAC is accredited by the Institute of Credentialing Excellence (ICE)
- TAC is recognized by the California Evidence-Based Clearinghouse for Child Welfare for promising research evidence
- The Center for Adoption Support and Education (the program developer) maintains a national registry of TAC-trained clinicians
TAC Learning Objectives
- Develop an understanding of racial, ethnic and cultural issues in adoption and how to work with transracial and transcultural families
- Identify and utilize evidence-based and evidence-informed practices and interventions with individuals affected by adoption
- Learn how to support adoptive parents in developing therapeutic strategies in response to their children’s challenging behaviors
- Understand how trauma impacts adopted children and tools and techniques to support recovery from adverse beginnings
- Reinforce and strengthen the learning process through the case consultation process, resulting in strong transfer of learning to practice
Voce is 1 of 4 TAC-approved sites in the Northeast.
Voce is one of four sites in the Northeast and one of 17 nationwide approved to administer TAC.
Our trainers are skilled adoption therapists who teach from their personal adoption experiences.
The next Training for Adoption Competency™ cohort starts soon.
Not sure if TAC is right for you or your staff? Contact us with questions or to receive detailed TAC information.
View the class schedule.